Our generation has had the great privelage of growing up alongside technology. As we have grown and (hopefully) changed for the better as individuals (I think changing to contacts was one of the best changes I've made for myself, also changing my attitude towards others... hey! Not everyone's an idiot, like I thought!), technology has evolved and grown much like ourselves. The first computer was absolutely ginormous , with only the power to calculate, or compute, just a few numbers and figures. Then these computers kept getting smaller and more powerful, somehow; seems like an inverse relationship to me. By the time I was born, the internet was created and computers were available to everyday people and families like mine.
I grew up with a computer in my home. My dad had a laptop primarily for business, e-mail and other such things. My parents were looking to further my education, so they got me computer games. Not the extremely fun ones... the educational ones. But these were alright in their own way. I recall one Winnie the Pooh game, an Aladdin game and an I Spy game, the latter being my favorite but unfortunately broke prematurely. These games were suplimentary to my formal education, school. They taught me basic math and reading skills. In one game I remember needing to catch specific letters in order to change "cat" to "hat" and other similarly-spelled words. These games helped me, but they kept getting easier and easier as I played them over and over and learned to read better in school.
For a while after I grew out of these games, I either didn't use the computer, and if by chance I did it was to type a special homework assignment or to play unintelligent games of mazes or killing robots or something. My computer use skyrocketed when we got rid of our dialup and upgraded to Roadrunner. I could now turn on the computer, wait for it to load and be on the internet in less than the 4 hours that dialup demanded. Along with the obvious Facebook, then-popular Myspace and pointless cat videos of Youtube I also used computers to help with reading assignments in school. Sparknotes became my best friend. The internet also became my own personal library of sorts, I could browse through books available online (unfortunately if I wanted to read them, I would need to pay to buy it, but it still helped). There is also such a wide expanse of information online, it takes alot of reading. I've also learned a new language with such words as LMAO and SMH. It also helped me learn how to interpret typo's and common stupidity among people; if there are so many people sharing their ideas online, they're bound to make the same mistakes. Now I take these mistakes less personally because quite frankly, if you have big fingers and other such issues typos can be a big problem.
So in a way, technology (mainly computers, I was late to get a phone and even now don't ever touch it) has expanded my literacy. It helped me with the basics, and now helps me decipher whether or not Shakespeare is actually written in English.
No comments:
Post a Comment